Welcome to the Xentara Skill Program
The Skill Program is a collaboration program supporting third party developers who want to take advantage of the numerous possibilities of the Xentara platform. It offers co-marketing opportunities, passive revenue streams and an opportunity to shape the future of Smart Industries and create the future.
From Agreement to Revenues: A Timeline
Frequently Asked Question
What is a "Skill"?
A Skill is defined as any kind of software that interfaces with Xentara and expands or enhances its functionalities in terms of connectivity or data processing. Skills rely on being connected to Xentara, meaning they do not work as a standalone product (the Partner is free to commercialize the same functionality in standalone products outside of the Xentara ecosystem).
For example, a Skill can be
- a connection plugin for a certain fieldbus or hardware device
- a data connector to any IT or OT application such as MES or ERP
- a Microservice performing tasks based on data provided via the Xentara semantic model
There are no limits to a skill’s complexity – even a full local machine learning instance can be a Skill.
What is the Xentara Marketplace?
The Xentara Marketplace is an upcoming online shop front provided by embedded ocean for marketing and commercializing Skills. It works similar to the app store on your phone. Customers can browse existing Skills, read detailed information about them, and license and install Skills directly from the store.
Can everyone develop and monetize Skills?
Yes. There are, however, several conditions to Marketplace access:
- Your Skill has to connect to Xentara in some way
- Your Skill has to create value or solve a use case
- Your Skill has to pass our certification process
Is there a limit to the Skills I can develop in the Program? What if a similar Skill already exists?
There is no limit to the possible topics of Skills; if it provides data to or uses data provided by Xentara and generates value, it is a valid Skill.
Even if a similar Skill already exists on the Marketplace, you are free to develop your own (new and improved) Skill for the same functionality.
Of course, there is also no limit to the number of Skills a single Partner can develop and release.
How does Skill Certification work?
Once a Skill has been submitted to embedded ocean, it is thoroughly tested by our software engineers to ensure stability and 100% compatibility with Xentara. That rigorous process typically takes no more than two weeks. After that, the Skill receives official certification and is ready to be commercialized.
Is there a membership fee? What benefits are included?
The membership fee for the Skill Program is € 120,- annually. That modest fee gets you:
- includes developer licenses for Xentara
- SDK and documentation for developing Skills
- Direct developer support available at reduced rates
- Access to Developer Previews of upcoming Xentara releases
- Marketplace advertising and joint marketing
- Membership fees help pay for the Marketplace infrastructure, backend, licensing system and revenue management
Do I give away any of my rights?
No. Your Skill is and remains your IP. You do, however, grant embedded ocean an exclusive, worldwide distribution license for your Skill.
Why an exclusive license?
To ensure quality and compatibility, certified Skills are exclusively distributed and licensed through the Xentara Marketplace.
This does not limit your rights to develop and commercially release standalone software with the same functionality or similar Skills for other platforms (as long as these other products do not interact with Xentara).
How does embedded ocean help me with monetizing my Skill?
- Once a Skill has been certified by embedded ocean and commercially released, it is automatically advertised to embedded ocean’s customers and Xentara users as they browse the Marketplace
- New or significantly updated Skills are periodically featured in embedded ocean marketing materials or press releases
- Developer Partners receive co-branding materials from embedded ocean for marketing their new Skill to their target audience
Do I still have to take care of license control etc.?
Customers buy licenses for Skills directly through the Xentara Marketplace. License control and tracking are handled by embedded ocean.